Monday, March 3, 2014

Dalaney Plott from Anna Earns the Girl Scout Gold Award


 
Dalaney Plott from Anna has received the Girl Scout Gold Award, the highest award a Girl Scout can receive.

For her Girl Scout Gold Award project, Dalaney wanted to honor the men and women who make up the U.S. military.  She dedicated one part of her project to sharing veterans’ stories and another part to collecting needed supplies for active duty soldiers stationed overseas. “My goal was to make our troops feel special while educating the public about those who serve,” she said.  To accomplish her goals, Dalaney dedicated 210 hours to her project – far more than 80 hours of service that is suggested to complete a Girl Scout Gold Award project.

To give the public a glimpse into military life, she interviewed 17 veterans and wrote an article for each one, which she arranged to be published in the Gazette-Democrat newspaper.   The series was a huge success in the community and also deeply impacted Dalaney personally.   

“I learned a lot about history through the eyes of men and women who lived it,” she said.  “Every veteran I interviewed changed my views on the world.  I am grateful that I had the opportunity to meet such amazing people.”

Dalaney also organized a drive to collect supplies for care packages to be sent to U.S. troops in Afghanistan.  First, she rallied the Anna-Jonesboro Community High School Beta Club to help collect supplies from the community.  Next, the Anna Veterans Home helped connect her to a unit serving in Afghanistan.  Veterans Home employee John Reeves, who Dalaney had interviewed for her Soldier’s Spotlight newspaper feature, generously donated the funds for shipping. 

“Men and women have been in Afghanistan and away from their homes – some of them for months,” she said. “Being away from homes, and in some cases, in constant battle, can lower morale.  I wanted to remind them that their country supports them."

While working to make sure U.S. Service Members got the respect they deserved, Dalaney also developed a greater sense of self-confidence and belief in her ability to make a difference in the world.  

“Through my Girl Scout Gold Award project, I learned how to feel empowered and how to inspire that feeling in others,” she said.  “When I started this project I was 15 and did not have a strong sense of self. I am no longer afraid to talk to new people.  I know that I can be a leader in my community because I already have been.  This project has given me the confidence to go out into the world and be the best than I can be.”

Dalaney is the daughter of Juanita Plott and Billie Plott.  She is currently a senior at Anna-Jonesboro Community High School and plans to attend Southeast Missouri State University to major in History this fall.   

The Girl Scout Gold Award, the highest award a Girl Scout can earn, recognizes a Girl Scout's commitment to excellence as she develops skills and values to meet present and future challenges in her life.  To earn the Girl Scout Gold Award, a Girl Scout Senior or Girl Scout Ambassador must design and carry out a project that fulfills a need within a girl’s community, creates change, and is sustainable.   The project must be completed with a suggested minimum of 80 hours of work.  Only about 6 percent of eligible girls earn the prestigious Gold Award.